In an emergency, the City can put the DataWells into this mode:
- The City keeps P.A.C.E. (Primary, Alternate, Contingency, Emergency). Mesh network connectivity is not as fast but is activated in extended emergency mode as High Speed Internet Access becomes unreliable in the city.
- At strategic points throughout the City, hardened DWs with extended capabilities (pole doubles as antennae, extended battery backup, local caching/staging of content) acts as relays. Some rooftop mesh routers with good line-of-sight access are also activated. Select rooftop routers use microwave connections to DoITT to ensure ample bandwidth.
- The network can be supplemented by deploying mobile mesh routers.
- All City Agencies are hooked into the network with prioritized access given to city personnel.
- Its used by the City as well to carry Voice Over IP as well as backup inter-agency comm network
- City has VPN access and can access mated sensors
- Mesh routers/relays also serve double duty as CPS transmitters